Yesterday I upgraded both my iPad 2 and my iPhone 5 to iOS 7. I was really excited before it was released and thought it would just be another great Apple iOS upgrade. In the past I have always liked the upgrades to the iOS as new versions came out. There was never a time that I didn’t like it…..until now. Today I reverted back to iOS 6.1.4 before Apple stops signing it.
Things I don’t like
- Why is the text thinner? It makes it harder to read. I mean the text for all of the icons, the time, menus etc.
- Why is the size of the time displayed at the top center of the screen smaller? Was it done so they could replace the “bars” of the cellular signal with stupid dots? The dots take up twice the width of the bars and look worse.
- Why do you now have to swipe to the left to delete mail instead of to the right? Zero reason this should have been done. When you swipe to the right it just opens the message. If I wanted to open it I would tap it.
- Why did they make everything all white? That is annoying as shit. It is worse for your eyes and it looks like a damn Windows phone. The menus are all white, email is white, the keyboard is a lighter grey and white.
- Why do things need to be flat looking? We spent all these years making things look so pretty and real in Windows, MacOS, iOS, Linux, etc. It looks more appealing. I would be OK with the flat look if everything wasn’t all one color or different shades of the same color. It looks like crap.
- Why is there no weather graphic when you pull down notification center? There is only text telling you what the weather is like. What is this, a DOS version of iOS? Are pictures of clouds and rain or the Sun too much work?
- The “recent apps” thingy is junk as well. Now when you double tap the home button, instead of getting 5 or 6 icons of your recent apps you get 2. Yeah, 2. 2 big square representations of your apps and to get rid of them or “close them” you have to slide them upward. Great, now I have to scroll side to side 3 times more to see the same amount of apps.
- Why when I choose a picture to use as my lock screen can I not make it as small as it used to be on iOS 6.1.4? It keeps “bouncing back” to a larger size when I pinch it down to a smaller size.
- Why is the folder window so small. I realize now you can scroll left to right to see more items in a folder. However, it would easily hold 6 more app icons on the screen had they make the folder window a bit taller.
- The little read badge icons that show you how many unread messages you have or how many app updates are available are harder to read. Why? Because there is no white border to cut down on the harsh contrast between the red circle and the app icon that it’s on top of. In addition the number is too thin; Hell, all the fonts are too thin. You would think that someone with ZERO design experience thought of this. WTF?
- No drop shadow behind the text of the app icons as well which makes it even harder to read on some of the shitty backgrounds and colors they give you to choose from.
Things I like
- Control Center. Perfect. Wouldn’t change anything.
- AirDrop. Love it. No need to “bump” phones.
- Keypad buttons. Round looks good. They are nice and clean.
- The clock app actually showing the real time on the icon itself. About time. I wish the weather icon was the same way.
- The new compass app. Awesome.
- The fact that you can now move the damn Newsstand app into a folder so you don’t have to see it anymore.
I will not be upgrading anytime soon. If I have my way, I’ll just keep using iTunes 10.7 and iOS 6.1.4 until they make major changes to iOS 7 or I switch to an Android phone. Side note, iTunes 11 looks like shit and has less functionality and is less intuitive. Whomever worked on iTunes 11 obviously also worked on iOS 7 too (probably not, but I’d like to think so).
I feel like if Steve Jobs was still alive this OS would have never been let out to the public looking like it does. Jony Ive sure seems smart with his British accent and all but I’m starting to think twice after seeing this OS. No thanks Apple.